Made of carbon steel that was sourced from two 36 inch sawmill blades estimated to be from the 1950’s. Research shows that they were made by E. Dawes & Son of Bethnal Green, London, which was established in the 1890’s.
Uk grown Elm, known to be over 250 years old it derived from a restoration project at Walthamstow’s St Marys Church. The Elm was part of the stock that supported the bells that William Morris was baptised under in 1834. The darker wood species is Judus tree, removed from a dead branch situated in the grounds of the childhood home of William Morris.
This stick tang handle construction is complemented using copper spacers. the copper came from 22mm water pipes from the London Docklands.